Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Doughnut Guy

By: Melanie Brooks

In the April issue of Bangor Metro we featured my father, Brian Brooks, and his delicious doughnuts. Nepotism aside, my dad really does make lip-smacking homemade doughnuts. Try his recipe and see for yourself.

Ever since the issue hit the stands my father has been recognized as The Doughnut Guy around town. People all over the University of Maine, where my dad has worked in facilities management for over 25 years, have been asking him to make them doughnuts. The aunt of one of my friends recognized him at a BBQ a couple of weekends ago. He's astounded at the reception he's been getting -- even from family members who had no idea doughnut making was in his blood.

Not used to the recognition and celebrity that comes with being featured in the Bangor Metro, my dad just shakes his head. But a phone message on Monday night had us all floored.

My father got a voicemail from Marie in Stonington who is known locally as The Doughnut Lady. She read the article and was so compelled (or enamored -- my father is rather handsome) that she looked him up in the phone book and gave him a call to talk turkey, er, doughnuts. We're planning a vacation in Stonington this summer and it's my goal to get The Doughnut Lady and The Doughnut Guy together for a photo and, hopefully, some doughnuts.

It's a small world -- and I love it!

Oh and by the way -- I'm entering this post in a food writing contest at Scribbit.blogspot.com. I'll let you know if I win!

3 comments:

the other daughter said...

too funny! i hope people know that doughnuts are a special treat in our family... even WE don't get them very often! it seems unfair... but probably best for the waist line!

Scribbit said...

Oh how I love doughtnuts--absolutely adore them in all their varieties. Well, I take that back. I don't care for the cake versions which in my book aren't doughnuts at all but cake.

Jellies . . . apple fritters . . . Bavarian creams . . . maple bars . . . egg doughnuts . . . I love them all.

Beverlydru said...

Enjoyed this post. What a fun thing for a fmaily to share - doughnut making. I would love a sample. : )