Thursday, May 14, 2009

Buongiorno Giacomo's!

By: Ashley Pearson

This Italian shop in downtown Bangor is back, and it’s brighter and better than before, with a new menu, plus catering and takeout options.

Just three days after re-opening on May 11th, Giacomo’s is bustling with lunchtime customers, and the smell of bread and provolone cheese is mouth watering. It's a good thing I'm hungry.

“We try to make it as authentic as possible,” says owner Milva Smith. “We’ve got a more Italian style.” Smith’s parents are originally from Lettomanopello, which is near Abruzzo, Italy.



The new Giacomo’s not only has fresh paint and clusters of tables for customers to enjoy, but it also has new sandwiches, soups, cheeses, and wines. It’s a huge change from the old Giacomo’s, which closed in mid-February due to technical issues.

“It’s fun to watch customers come in, and just stare at first,” says Smith. “We wanted to rework the concept, tweak the design. It’s like we grew up a little bit.”



As I'm trying to decide what to eat for lunch, I notice what's on the plates of a mother-daughter pair sitting by the window. Michelle Ruhlin, and her daughter, Ellie, are just finishing their turkey sandwiches.

"I came in before Giacomo's rearranged itself," says Michelle. "I really appreciate the bathrooms that were added."

Ellie nods her head as she surveys the remains of her meal. "Yup, I think it's good," she says with finality.



Some customers don't order Italian. Kip Emerson's happy with a good cup of coffee and a bag of chips.

Not me. I've settled on a Genoa salami sandwich.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Ooooh I can't wait to check it out!

Anonymous said...

i'm a little sad that they don't offer bread options for their sandwiches anymore :( a sandwich on french bread was always my favorite...