Friday, May 28, 2010

The Underpants!

By Melanie Brooks

I went to see this show at the Penobscot Theatre last night and it was AWESOME! I had a smile plastered on my face the entire way through.

The set itself was expertly done. I was amazed at how the entire stage was completely transformed into a funky apartment. I loved how the set designers even made nosy Gertrude's upstairs apartment viewable. The colors were crazy, the costumes were perfect, and the acting was hilarious.


The play is set in Germany and originally written by German Carl Sternheim. This adaptation was written by funnyman Steve Martin. It starts out with Theo and Louise Maske discussing the embarrassing event involving Louise's underpants falling down during the king's parade. Two over-the-top characters see her underpants fall and both men, a poet and a barber, end up falling in love with Louise and renting the extra room in the Maske's house and trying to woo her right under the nose of her nagging husband.

The characters were full of energy and played their characters to a tee. It was one of the most enjoyable plays I've ever seen -- not just at the Penobscot Theatre, but anywhere! I urge you to get yourself a ticket (or win one here) and see it for yourself. I promise you won't be disappointed.

0 comments: