Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What's Cooking...

By Melanie Brooks

In today's economy it's beneficial to be able to wear more than one hat -- meaning it's better to be good at many things instead of one specific skill. Luckily I have many different interests that all sort of fall under the same umbrella of "media".

For example, I not only love to write and edit, I also enjoy taking photographs, using Photoshop, and shooting and editing video. Back in the days of yore I was a television/film production major at Towson University.

Last Friday Mark Janicki (chef extraordinaire and culinary professor at Eastern Maine Community College) and I headed to the Portland Regency Hotel to meet head chef Alan Cook and learn all about his recipe for crab cakes for our first issue of Maine Ahead magazine.


Mark Wellman met us down there and we set up two HD cameras on tripods to capture different angles throughout the demonstration. I was given a small hand-held digital video recorder to use for close-ups of both Janicki and Cook as well as the food. I had forgotten how much I love the production process.

It was fast and Wellman and I had to scramble. But I think we got what we needed. The best part of the whole thing? Being able to try the food. I really love crab cakes and these were yummy.

The article by Janicki will appear in the pages of Maine Ahead and our video will be showcased on the Maine Ahead website. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out -- and for next months' assignment.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the video. I hear the crab cakes at 20 Milk Street are the best in the state. And we crab cake afficionados are very picky (READ: crabby).