Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Pressing Matter

By Kayla Riley

One of my favorite fall treats is apple cider, and it doesn't get much better than consuming cider made in Maine. On Sunday I made the hour-long drive from Orono to Blue Hill to visit Beth and Bridge DeLong for their annual cider pressing party.

They have held the event at their home for about five years, but this was my first time attending. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day weather-wise. The sun was shining but there was a definite November chill in the air.


I had never seen a cider press up close and personal before. Their cider press is a true antique, complete with metal gears and an old wooden crank handle. It all looked complicated, but it turns out that the cider pressing process is fairly simple.


After rinsing the apples, you dump them into the top receptacle of the cider press. Then as someone starts cranking the handle, you feed the apples through until they have all been squished adequately into a bucket that waits below. The juice from the apples is then strained through a piece of cheesecloth and poured into a bowl at the end of the press, which is covered with a strainer and paper towel to grab any stray seeds or apple pieces.


To my surprise, once the cider had gathered in the bowl it was ready to drink! Living in Maine my whole life I thought I knew the meaning of fresh cider, but I was mistaken. The cider you can find in your local supermarket or farmer's stand simply can't compare to freshly pressed cider.



Until next year, I'm savoring every last drop of fresh cider. If you get a chance to attend a cider pressing party, don't turn it down. It's one of the best ways to celebrate the turning of the seasons—and use up all of those fallen apples.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy! i always thought there was more to this too... what a nice surprise :)