Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Conquering Katahdin

By Kayla Riley

At an elevation of 5,267 feet, Mt. Katahdin is not meant for the fair-weather hiker. Maybe I should have thought of that before I decided to meet the challenge head-on last Saturday. With my new Camelbak filled with water, gently used hiking boots, and a group of friends, I conquered Maine’s biggest mountain.


We started our climb at around 8:15 am on the Abol trail, which rises 3,970 feet over 3.8 miles. After weaving through the woodsy path that makes up the first part of Abol, I was feeling pretty good. But then came the boulders. For about 3 miles, Abol is made up of steep boulders painted with little white dashes marking the way. My limited hiking experience had not prepared me for this. It was then that the fit half of our group forged ahead while the other half (myself included) lagged behind.

As my muscles burned and Baxter Peak loomed far ahead, I was reminded of the moral of one of Aesop’s fables—slow and steady wins the race. At least, that’s what I told myself as I took frequent water breaks and gasped for breath through increasing elevation.

After about 4 grueling hours, we had all reached the summit. I was amazed by how many other ambitious hikers were up there. We even met Nelson Daigle, a 71-year-old Millinocket man who was completing his 410th Katahdin climb. Also noteworthy were the bearded, weather-worn through-hikers, whose last stop on the Appalachian Trail is Mt. Katahdin.

Once we had eaten lunch and rested, we got together for a group picture by the famous sign. My friend Lindsey and I had brought our stilettos up for that very purpose, and we were met with looks of amusement (from hikers) and concern (from a park ranger).


I can say with certainty that the view atop Katahdin is worth the pain. Something about seeing the world from that angle and knowing you’ve earned it is positively addicting. I’m already planning for next year—this time with a little more preparation.


Check out some more of my hike below...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for reminding me how wonderful katahdin really is. it's been 7 years since i finished my thru hike atop the mountain and reading this, this morning, gave me a little lift. you made it. i made it. all those thru hikers made it. awesome.