Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Blue Hill Fair

By Melanie Brooks

The Blue Hill Fair is an end-of-summer rite of passage for many in the midcoast area. Since I hadn't been to this particular fair since junior high (I'm not even going to tell you how long ago that was) and it was a beautiful weekend, I convinced my parents to take a ride with me and my camera to Blue Hill. We had the pleasure of taking my 2-year-old niece, Ayda, along for the ride.

Ayda loves to look at animals but refuses to touch them. No big deal. We saw a lot of beautiful cows, friendly goats, and cute little pigs. I particularly liked the alpaca tent. These animals intrigue me with their odd shape and silky soft hair. I love their big, soft eyes.


The cows at the Blue Hill Fair were some of the cleanest and prettiest I've seen in years. These two little cows were happy to chomp away while posing for pictures.


Note: Wearing flip flops to an agricultural fair is never a good idea. I learned an important lesson. In Ayda's words, "Ewwwwwwww! Poopy on your foot!"

After we had our fill of animals we headed to the eats and rides part of the fair. We all shared a delicious bloomin' onion and begrudgingly shelled out $8.00 for two kiddie fair rides for Ayda. It's hard to say no to an adorable child but $8.00 was a lot to pay for a few minutes of fun on two merry-go-rounds. Luckily when you ask Ayda what her favorite part of the fair was she says "the ride with the little cars."

We strategically avoided the booth with Dora the Explorer balloons and headed back to take one more look at the farm animals before heading back home to Orono. Check out more photos of the fair on our Facebook page.

0 comments: