Monday, June 21, 2010

A Sunset Sail on the Margaret Todd

By Melanie Brooks

When Sidekick Shane finished his master's thesis at UMaine this spring I bought him a present -- a sunset sail for two on the schooner Margaret Todd that sails out of Bar Harbor. I have to admit, I really wanted to take this trip. I've spent a lot of time in Bar Harbor and have longed to sail on this majestic ship -- taking Shane gave me a reason to finally do it.






This past Friday was 90+ degrees out and made for a fantastic night to sail. The ship holds 150 passengers are there were just over 100 of us aboard. The crew asked for volunteers to help raise the four sails and Shane obliged. I, however, was too busy taking photos. Plus I'm really wimpy.


The views were amazing but what I really loved were the details.





All of the cruises on the Margaret Todd are dog-friendly and passengers are encouraged to bring aboard snacks and drinks -- we were jealous that another couple was having a lovely picnic of wine and cheese.

The best part of the trip? The sunset, of course! Kayakers took advantage of the good weather and took a sunset trip of their own.


Ready to book your trip? Click here to be taken to Downeast Windjammers website.

0 comments: