Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wicked Whoopie Pies

By Melanie Brooks

I've been writing a story for Maine Ahead's "Maine Mogul" section on the Gardiner-based Wicked Whoopie Pies for the May/June issue. Amy Bouchard, the Queen Whoopie, started the business out of her kitchen about 16 years ago. She's been sweet as pie to work with and I can't wait until her story hits the shelves.

To my great surprise today, four boxes of her delicious treats showed up at my office. I have to say, I'm not the biggest whoopie pie fan. But these. Oh these whoopies were different. I've taken the liberty to sample each flavor. We have original, strawberry, lemon, and red velvet. They're not huge either. Each pie has around 4 or 5 bites, depending on how big your mouth is. After just one bite, our bookkeeper, Anthony, announced (with a full mouth), "The filling is way better than regular!"

The packaging was so beautiful we almost didn't dare rip into it. Almost.

There's nothing better than a classic chocolate whoopie pie and a glass of milk.

Sandy, our art director, picked a good day to work in the office.

You can order them online here, or get them at your local Hannaford Supermarket. And be sure to check them out in the May/June issue of Maine Ahead.

0 comments: