Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Love is in the Metro Air!

A while back we ran a Valentine's Day contest with a bunch of cool prizes including a one night stay, dinner, and breakfast at the Hilton Garden Inn, a dozen roses courtesy of Chapel Hill Floral, and a Specialty Sweets chocolate basket.

We'd like to congratulate Bob Woodbury of Winslow for winning these super prizes. Bob won our hearts with his story of how he won the heart of his wife. Check it out below:

In July 1959, my ship, the U.S.S. Forrest B Royal, was one of 28 warships that entered the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes for the first time since the War of 1812, participating in the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Our ship was one of four that sailed all five Great Lakes and one of two to go all the way to Duluth-Superior Harbor.

Following the showing of the motion picture John Paul Jones at a Duluth theater, a buddy and I followed two girls down the street and introduced ourselves as they paused in a shoe store window. We were in port three days, then left to continue our voyage.

I corresponded with one of the girls for a year, following which she took two weeks vacation the following July, I took two weeks leave, and she flew to my home state of Maine, where she was wined and dined and show much of the state by me, my Mom and Dad.

The following October, I drove to Duluth and we were married after being together a total of 17 days. This past October we celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary.

1 comments:

Northeastguides said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.