Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Blues Traveler @ L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series

By Melanie Brooks

If you came of age in the 1990s you probably know who Blues Traveler is. (If not, scroll to the bottom of this post and watch the video.) When I heard Blues Traveler were going to be a part of L.L. Bean's free summer concert series I made plans to head to Freeport.

Saturday was gorgeous -- one of the few glorious summer days we've had this summer. People started setting up their chairs in the concert space in the afternoon in anticipation of crowd. How many people could possibly be coming to this event? A lot. So many that there wasn't even any place to stand as security guards and cops kept pushing fans off of the sidewalks to make room for emergency exits.


The great thing about a free concert is that, well, it's free! It also draws a wide population of people from the very young to the very old. If you don't like the music you can leave without being too disappointed because you spent money on it.

But Blues Traveler was no disappointment. I'm not sure how you feel about the harmonica, but John Popper makes it wail -- which is sort of surprising considering how small it is. There was even a woman signing the songs on the side of the stage. She got really into it...which I guess you have to do when conveying the blues.


I ended up standing throughout the entire concert, which was ok with me but not with everyone behind me. It seemed like wherever I stood someone was waving me out of the way. It's a concert people! Get up and dance!


The lights high up in the trees were really pretty -- especially against the spectacular sunset that night.

There are still some free summer concerts to catch in Freeport -- I'd suggest planning on catching Dar Williams this coming Saturday, August 8th. I saw her at The Strand this winter and she puts on a fun, entertaining show. The following is the lineup for the rest of the summer:

August 8: Dar Williams

August 15: The Wallflowers

August 22: An Evening of Maine Songwriters Featuring Carol Noonan, Ellis Paul, and Slaid Cleaves

August 29: Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience

September 5: Eileen Ivers and Immigrant Soul

September 6 (Sunday): Asleep at the Wheel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate going to concerts and people are dancing in front of me. I go to a show to watch the performers -- it's probably the only chance I'll have to see them in person. If I wanted to dance to the music, I'd play the CD. Have some consideration and dance someplace where you are not blocking everyone's view. Appreciate the concert how you want, but don't infringe upon my enjoyment just because you don't agree with my method.

Anonymous said...

Well said!! I just dealt with one of those selfish arseholes the other night. and that is what it's ultimately about: selfishness. They have no concern or consideration for those behind them.

Walter Tully said...

Blues Traveler is a very prominent musical figure of the 1990's. I and my wife like their performances. Similar to the free concerts that you had in Freeport, we also have interesting performances in summer concerts in Denver. There's always a night in the summer events in Denver when they feature blues and that night is usually populated by a lot of people. It's a fun night where people regardless of age listen to great music.

Have fun on the next concert!