Thursday, August 27, 2009

American Folk Fest: Almost here!

By Melanie Brooks

Bangor is all abuzz right now as the city gears up for the American Folk Festival. I just picked up the 2009 official program and have been feasting my eyes on all the interesting acts that will be performing this weekend.

Who am I looking forward to seeing? Mythili Prakash is first on my list. This 26-year-old performs the traditional South Indian dance of Bharata Natyam. Prakash is an American born Indian and her traditional dress, make up, and jewelry fascinate me. The fact that she was acclaimed as a dance prodigy at the age of 8 also fascinates me. I can't wait to check her out. She performs on the Penobscot Stage twice on Saturday (3 and 7:45 pm) and again on Sunday (5:15). Check out her website here.


I'm also interested in catching Brice Chapman's cowboy trick rope show...something you don't see much of in this part of the country. He does all sorts of tricks with his Border Collie, Sooner, and I'm pretty easy to impress. You can find him Saturday on the Heritage Stage (4:15 pm) and on Sunday in the Family Area (12:45 pm) and on the Penobscot Stage (3:30 pm). I have a feeling that after seeing Chapman and his dog I'm going to need to fashion a lasso of my own and try his tricks at home with my chihuahua, Miles. Check out his website.


And of course the Folk Festival wouldn't be what it is without the food. From spanakopita to samosas, the food vendors keep a smile on my face and my belly full. I can taste those fresh-cut French fries already...

What are YOU looking forward to?

0 comments: