Friday, December 4, 2009

Bangor Creche Exhibit

By Melanie Brooks

The annual creche exhibit opened today at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bangor. More than 500 nativity scenes are on display and are on loan from families who practice various denominations.

I stopped by this afternoon when it opened and was pleasantly surprised. What was once a gym was transformed into a softly lit exhibit space with nativity scenes proudly displayed along the walls and on tables covered with jeweled-colored cloth. Greens, golds, reds, and blues permeated the area and gave off a distinct Christmas feel -- even though it's 50 degrees outside with nary a snowflake in sight.

I loved the colors of this one and its simplicity. It looks quite European and I wish I knew where it came from.

This one was my favorite. I love how nature was used in the presentation. There's something about birch bark that draws me in.

Sure, the story goes that Jesus was born in a manger in Bethelem (which happens to be in the Middle East) but that shouldn't mean that Eskimos and Inuit can't put their own spin on it. I love the animals in this nativity scene: a walrus, seal, sled dogs, and a polar bear.

I just loved the simplicity of this one. No gold paint. No ceramic wise men. To me it symbolizes what the season is all about. This is something a poor carpenter and his young bride might have on display in their home...

Check out the creche exhibit yourself this weekend. There will also be entertainment and a live nativity scene on display.

Friday, December 4
12 to 8 pm

Saturday, December 5
9 am to 8 pm

Sunday, December 6
12 to 8 pm

Monday, December 7
12 to 8 pm

For more photos check out Bangor Metro's Facebook page.

0 comments: