Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Three Local Veterans

In honor of Veterans Day, consulting editor Henry Garfield, sat down with three area veterans to find out what Veterans Day means to them. We'd like to introduce them and share some of their answers.
Photos by Shane Leonard

Charles McClead, Dedham

Do you think America is more or less patriotic today than it was during the time you served?

I think America today at least knows the truth of what's going on a little better. We're no longer blaming the military for things that go wrong. We know that the military is under command of the president and Congress. The right way to look at it is if you don't like it, your elected officials are the ones that are running it.

Was it hard to be back into the routine of everyday life when you returned home?


I came back with a bit of post traumatic stress disorder. I had a lot of anger because of the way the people who fought in Vietnam were treated when we got back. The news media made us look like we were baby-killers, bombing school buses, even though we were doing what we were assigned to do. It was ugly.


Russell Treadwell, Carmel

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

To me it is a day to show my respect and gratitude for all the sacrifices that veterans have made for our country.

What, in your opinion, are the best ways we can honor our veterans?

Don't be critical of them for doing what the civilian leadership directs them to do. Show your support in the community when you interact with members of the military.


Doug Kell, Ellsworth

Why did you join the military?

I was too young to go into the Second World War, and I felt like I hadn't done my duty. The Korean War came along, and I had a chance to be a man.

What would you like the average citizen to know about your military service?

I've reached a point in my life when I think that war is futile. We needed it 100 years ago, but it's no longer necessary. WE can be patriotic without going to war.

0 comments: