Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Passport to Your Future at Old Town High School

By Melanie Brooks

I was invited to a special career fair at Old Town High School today called "Passport to Your Future." The last time I was there it was 1996 and they were still known as the Indians. I was greeted and expertly taken care of by two wonderful OTHS students, Robbie and Kaylie, who gave me water, diet coke, and checked in on me throughout the day. Thanks guys!

I brought along copies of Bangor Metro, Maine Ahead, and Real Maine Weddings to give away. It seemed like the teachers were just as interested in what we do over at Bangor Metro world headquarters...especially in our recent feature on historical homes in the Bangor area...must have been history teachers.


Anyway. I was on hand to answer questions and talk a little bit about what goes into making a magazine. I got all sorts of questions:

Q: Do you take photos?
A: Sometimes...mostly if I'm the only one there with a camera. We have a photographer named Shane Leonard who handles most of that job.

Q: What kind of education do you need to work at a magazine?
A: Both of the editors of Bangor Metro (me) and Maine Ahead (Tori Britton) have master's degrees. It's important to go to college for sure - and while you're there you can start building up your portfolio of work and try out some internships. But you don't necessarily need a master's degree.

Q: How much money do you make?
A: That's none of your business! (I didn't really say that). I gave them a ballpark figure. Of course I live in Maine where the cost of living is much cheaper than, say, New York City. But if you're looking to get rich, going into journalism isn't going to help you get there quickly.

It was a fun day overall. I was just bummed I didn't get the chance to try out one of the go-carts brought in for the festivities by the National Guard. They were much more popular than my booth...and for good reason. Look how fun they are!

0 comments: