Friday, August 27, 2010

Meadowlark Music Camp

By Melanie Brooks

Yesterday I drove to the tiny town of Washington to take photos at Meadowlark Music Camp on the shore of Washington Pond. Seventy-five people, mostly adults, spent the week practicing the banjo, harp, dulcimer, flute, fiddle, guitar, voice, and more. See some of my photos after the jump...

It was a gorgeous day to spend at camp and I spent most of it wandering around and taking photos for a feature I'm planning on writing next year. But waiting a whole year to share some of the photos I took seems silly -- so here they are!

I had never watched someone play the dulcimer before, and it was mesmerizing. Such a beautiful instrument!

There's something about playing music in the woods that is just so...Maine.

Some campers squeezed in a swim between lunch and the afternoon workshop.



2 comments:

sanbonfl said...

Guess you probably know by now that the name of the camp is Med-o-Lark. I'm from Washington originally and my parents still live there. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Bangor Metro said...

The camp's name is Med-O-Lark, but the music camp's website says Meadowlark....we went with the music camp spelling.