Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Trip up North

By Melanie Brooks

I'm on the road for the rest of the week. This morning, Leslie and I drove down to Penobscot (near Blue Hill) to meet with Paul Birdsall, owner of Horsepower Farms. It was a beautiful day to be outside and take a tour of this organic farm.

By 1pm I was on the road north. With my trusty sidekick, Shane, we're spending some time in Aroostook County. We spied a sign on I-95 that said "Mount Katahdin Scenic View" and we had to pull over -- even though we had to hike our way up to the top of the overlook (the road is only open from May to October).

I had never seen Mt. Katahdin covered in snow. It was gorgeous!



After our photo shoot we hit the road heading for Blaine where we met with Gregg and Wayne Garrison who own and operate Double G Farms. Gregg was named the 2009 Young Farmer of the Year and we stopped in to learn about what it takes to run a successful potato farm in northern Maine. We had a great time!

Tomorrow is a new day chalk full of interviews at Northern Maine Community College, the Maine Potato Board, and the Caribou office of the RSVP (Retired Seniors Volunteer Program). I'm going to need a good night's sleep!

0 comments: