Thursday, October 29, 2009

Seasonal Flavor: Pumpkin

By Melanie Brooks

'Tis the season of pumpkin carving. But pumpkins are much more than just jack-o-lanterns. Did you know that pumpkins are considered a fruit? They are 90% water and jam packed with beta-carotene, which has been shown to reduce cancer and heart disease. One cup of pumpkin contains 50 calories and 3 grams of fiber.

I could eat pumpkin pie morning, noon, and night if presented with the opportunity to do so. I love the stuff. But recently I've been tasting other pumpkin-flavored foods that have knocked my socks off.

Specialty Sweets on Stillwater Ave. in Bangor makes a mouth-watering pumpkin fudge. It is, by far, the most delicious fudge I have ever tasted. Not only does the consistency of the fudge melt in your mouth, it's pumpkin flavored and makes for a tasty fall treat when you have a hankering for something sweet that isn't chocolate.

I had the opportunity to try some pumpkin bisque at Pairings in Winterport on Tuesday night during a Bangor Chamber of Commerce event. A bit apprehensive at first, I tried the soup with a bit of trepidation. The worry was instantly melted away as the soup happily slid down my throat. I'm not exaggerating when I say it is the best soup I have ever tasted. It had a not-too-sweet and smoky flavor that was unlike anything I had tasted before. The chef created an apple wine reduction sauce -- using Winterport Winery's own apple wine -- and maple syurp to create the creamy bisque. I had two bowls and didn't even apologize for it. I wanted to literally swim in the stuff.

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are an easy way to use pumpkin in your baking and seem to be a distinctively New England treat. When I have made these cookies for friends in the other cities I have lived in (Boston, Baltimore, and New York City), they are always pleasantly surprised and ask me for the recipe. If you are looking to bring something to a party this fall, these cookies are sure to be a hit. Try the recipe out for yourself! I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Ingredients:

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
2. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.
3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.

0 comments: