Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Foolish

By: Melanie Brooks

When I was a kid I used to get a big kick out of calling my grandparents on April Fool's Day and telling them I broke my arm or leg during dance class. They would act shocked and sympathetic, asking me if I was in much pain. I'd lead them on, giggling under my breath for a few minutes, then joyously shout "April Fool!" to which they'd chide me for being so witty and clever.

I consider myself significantly more clever than I was when I was 7-years-old. But I'm obviously still gullible. I say obviously because I was delighted to find out that there was a new restaurant opening up at 21 Main Street today just in time for the Bangor Lunch MOB to check it out. A new restaurant in downtown Bangor? No one seemed to know about it yet everyone was just as excited as I was.

I scheduled to have lunch with my sister, who works at Epic Sports and was excited to check out the new place around the corner, and two of my friends. I have another friend who couldn't make it to lunch but wanted me to tell her all about the new restaurant.

With all the build-up you can imagine my surprise when I came upon this sign...


I'd been duped! I was so excited about the prospect of a new place to have lunch that any skepticism melted away. My sister and I sheepishly walked across the street to Paddy Murphy's for lunch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Mel, we were both duped. Funny how we couldn't figure out WHAT the new restaurant was!

jbs said...

i feel so dumb... but i did enjoy my sweet fries :)

Kristina P. said...

So, there was no restaurant? How did you hear about it?